The audition process consists of two parts, a solo audition and a contextual audition.
The solo audition is completed privately with the director and one or two members of the ensemble. It consists of the following:
- Vocalization to assess your range and technique.
- Echoing pitch patterns on your choice of solfège or neutral syllables to assess your auditory perception and memory.
- Singing a prepared solo work, folk song, or hymn to demonstrate your musical and technical abilities. Choose something that you are confident you can perform well, bearing in mind that you will sing it a capella. Please also bring a copy of your selection for our reference.
- Sight reading to assess your music reading skills.
- Singing with a current member of the choir to assess your ability to respond to, tune to, and blend with others.
Based on your solo audition, you may be invited to participate in a rehearsal with Aliro Voices to assess the fit between you and the ensemble. As a small group, the contribution of every member is essential, so we want to make sure that there is a good fit for you and the ensemble both musically and as a community. You will be notified of the results of your audition either immediately following the contextual audition or soon thereafter.
If you are interested in auditioning, please let us know by filling out the form here.